Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Currie Star stage incredible comeback to win Federation of Hibs Cup

Saughton Enclosure was the venue for Friday night’s Federation of Hibs Cup Final between The Spartans and Currie Star Blues. 

The match began at an impressive pace in West Edinburgh; with Spartans controlling the tempo, showing promising signs in the early stages. 

They would take advantage of a better start in the fifteenth minute, as Lewis Harrison’s speculative effort flew into the net from 35 yards, opening the score for the Granton outfit.

Currie hardly had any opportunity to reset after falling behind, with Dillon Turley smashing home another brilliant strike, doubling the Spartans’ lead before the  20-minute mark, and giving them a comfortable grasp on the final.

Finding themselves two goals down so early on in the match had Currie deflated, they struggled to put together many successive passes; as Spartans looked to cruise towards half-time. 

It would get worse for the Star still, Felix Percey-Robb found himself with space on the edge of the area, trying his luck from distance his effort deflected into the net to add a third for Spartans; giving them one hand on the trophy. 

The former home of Hutchison Vale provided its challenges as the venue chosen for the final, with both sides struggling to move the ball due to the length of the grass.

Currie Star began to grow into the match following a third of the game, as Spartans held back, looking timid and complacent towards their opponent’s threat. The Star acted upon this, Joe Muir taking his opportunity to creep into the box and reduce the deficit to two goals on the break.

A rejuvenated Currie team would emerge in the second forty-five, capitalising on their positive end to the first period. They looked a different team, Samuel Appertey pegging back another goal just 10 minutes into the new half, heading home a rebound. 

Spartans had little in response to Currie’s refresh; remaining passive in possession of the ball and defending their first-half advantage. 

The comeback was completed 20 minutes from time as a sleeping Spartans defence saw Appertey slip through before slotting home the equaliser. 

The quarter of the match was relatively cagey, with both sides knowing a level game would lead them to a penalty shootout; Spartans appeared shellshocked and their counterparts unwilling to go for a winner.

There would be no need for extra time, with penalties used to decide the Federation of Hibs Cup Final, Spartans failed to convert their first and fourth spot kicks, while Currie managed a perfect record from their four. Currie Star Blues took the shootout: 4-2. 

Currie certainly did not make it easy for themselves, coming back from three goals down, but it was the Star to take the cup home after a thrilling spectacle in Saughton.

The Spartans Player of the Match: Lewis Harrison

Opening the score with a terrific strike, Lewis Harrison impressively held up the ball, creating several chances for his side in the first half.

Currie Star Blues Player of the Match: Samuel Appertey

He showed impressive resilience to continue attempting to claw his side back into the match, showing dividends in the end with his two goals.

The Spartans Magic Moment:

Lewis Harrison’s curling strike to give Spartans the lead after 15 minutes.

Currie Star Blues Magic Moment:

Appertey completing the comeback for Currie, tucking it into the corner. 



More in Match Previews & Reports