Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Kinross Colts cement place at top of the table with well earned victory at Cupar

Kinross Colts U17s maintained their place at the top of the Association of Fife YFC Division Two table with an impressive 3-1 victory against Cupar Colts at Stratheden Park on Sunday.

Kinross led through Noah Ward before Jack Webster equalised for Cupar. Evan Clunie was denied from the penalty spot moments later by a fantastic save from Kinross keeper Andrew Forest, before Ward doubled his tally to give his side the lead at the break.

The away side added a third in the second half thanks to a wonderful solo goal from Euan Wallace. Full-back Cammy Scott was sent off in injury time for a second bookable offence, but the away side held on long enough to claim the three points.

Photo: Calum McCaffery

Just three points separated the two sides going into Sunday mornings game, with the top two battling for top spot in what has become a very competitive league this season.

It took just five minutes for the opening goal by way of Kinross when a wonderful through ball from Wallace was collected by Ward. He bared down on goal and slotted the ball past Cupar stopper Noah McSorley for the lead.

The early setback did not seem to deter the home side however and they got their first attempt at goal five minutes later when Ruari Barr tested the keeper with a low effort which was well saved.

Cupar very nearly found their equaliser on the 16th minute when a free kick taken by Clunie found its way to Alvie Milne at the back post, but his effort was well closed down by Forest in the opposing goal.

Kinross remained dangerous though and nearly made a set play of their own count when a free kick from Scott was glanced wide by Wallace.

Ward nearly added his second of the game on the 24th minute mark when the ball rebounded his way 20 yards from goal. The striker did well to shake his marker but great tracking back from Cupar defender Pablo Penedo saw him clear the ball behind for a corner.

And it proved to be a vital intervention as just two minutes later Cupar had their equaliser. A delicate through ball from Barr fell into the path of Jack Webster, who managed to beat the offside trap. Webster maintained his composure to ease the ball past the oncoming Forest.

Cupar had the perfect opportunity to take the lead just a minute later when Scott brought down Milne in the penalty box. The referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot, but Clunie’s low effort was well saved by Forest.

Five minutes later Cupar were made to rue that missed opportunity as Kinross retook the lead when a long ball from Forest looped over the Cupar backline into the chasing Ward. He finished in similar fashion to his first goal, easing the ball past McSorley to restore his side’s lead.

The home side were not one to give in however and nearly found a second equaliser through Barr five minutes later. A wonderful first touch saw him take the ball away from his marker, but his low effort was straight at Forest.

At the other end Cupar keeper McSorley had to be on his toes to tip a cross-cum-shot from Wallace over the bar shortly after.

The second half started slowly with both teams trying to find their feet again after a first period played at blistering pace. The first effort of the half went the way of the away side, when Ward was denied his hat-trick by a good save at the near post from McSorley.

Just a couple of minutes later Kinross would add their third of the game through a spectacular solo effort from Euan Wallace, who received the ball 35 yards out, dribbled past three Cupar defenders before firing a low shot from 18 yards low into the bottom right-hand corner.

Photo: Calum McCaffery

Despite the two-goal deficit, Cupar were far from out of the game and continued to create chances. An effort from David Letran-Sanchez from just outside the penalty area rolled just wide of goal on the hour mark.

Kinross were also keen to add to their tally and move out of sight, and nearly did so when a free kick taken by Ward just outside the penalty box flashed wide of the goal.

Cupar’s best chance to get back into the game came ten minutes from time when a long throw was well controlled by Josh Pullen. He had the composure and vision to pick out the on-rushing Barr, who could not connect with his shot properly as it rolled into Forest’s arms.

As the game was entering its closing stages, Kinross were reduced to ten men when Scott was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Despite the man disadvantage, Kinross were able to muster up one more chance at goal and very nearly capped off a great performance with a wonderful strike by Ellis Tooley, who unfortunately saw his left-footed effort from 20 yards cannon off the post.

That would prove to be the last piece of action as Kinross held on for the win and the three points which sees them maintain a two point lead at the top of the AFYFC Division 2 table ahead of North Queensferry, who produced an impressive victory of their own, triumphing 5-1 over Bridge of Earn.

Cupar Colts however dropped one place to third but will be looking to bounce back next week as they travel to face Letham Sky Blues in their next match.

Kinross Colts U17s

1 Andrew Forest

3. Irvin Smith

4. Jamie Porter

5. Luke Stormont

6. Callum Caldwell

8. Finlay Gilmour

20. Jamie Oldham

15. Finlay Campbell

10. Noah Ward

18. Ross Black

23. Ellis Tooley

22. Cammy Scott

21. Euan Wallace

Cupar Colts U17s

16 Albie Milne

7. Charles Cromar

10. David Letran-Sanchez

21. Evan Clunie

8. Jack Webster

6. Jamie Hamilton

15. Josh Pullen

2. Kian Middlemist

1 Noah McSorley

3. Owen Mathieson

11. Pablo Penedo

5. Ritchie Gillies

9. Ruari Barr

4. Sandy Kinnear

14. Thomas Saunders



More in Match Previews & Reports