Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Musselburgh Windsor Blue reach final after tricky Dalkeith Thistle tie

Minute silence for Jordan Banks.

In an intense Colin Campbell Sports Cup semi-final between Musselburgh Windsor Blue and Dalkeith Thistle CFC at Pinkie 3G pitches in Musselburgh, the hosts edge out a 2-1 win to progress to the final.

From the off both teams’ coaches knew it was going to be a difficult game and they came into this game with large unbeaten runs. Thistle recently beat Musselburgh’s other side 10-0 but knew that this one was not going to be plain sailing.

Prior to the match, the players, coaches and spectators all showed good faith and took part in a moment’s silence to commemorate Jordan Banks, the young boy who recently lost his life whilst playing football in England.

Straight from kick-off Dalkeith Thistle went and capitalised on a stray ball and Josh Grant skipped past his man to win a corner, which was met by the head of Lennon Fairgrieve but nothing came from the chance.

20 minutes in, against the run of play, Musselburgh Windsor’s Aidan Gourlay opened the scoring. He picked up the ball just outside the box, got past his man and hit it, with power, past the keeper at his near post.

For the remainder of the first half, it was predominantly all Thistle, barraging the Windsor keeper with shots. However, they could not beat the young shot stopper and the hosts went into the half leading 1-0.

Half Time: Musselburgh Windsor Blue 1 Dalkeith Thistle CFC 0

To start the second half, it was just more of the same as the end of the first with Thistle dominating the chances and efforts on goal.  

In the 51st minute, Thistle had a great chance to equalise when Grant got the ball at the edge of the box, but Matthew Murray-Smith was there to block a pass right to the feet of a Thistle player.

Just seven minutes later, Windsor doubled their lead when a cross found a man at the far post to score.

After countless more attempts, still Thistle could not find their way back into the game but eventually got the breakthrough courtesy of a freekick. Borthwick’s ball in found the head of a Thistle player at the back post, a goal which gave them a pathway back into the game.

Moments later, Scott Ferguson pulled off a great challenge in the box which stopped Windsor from grabbing a third and putting the game to rest.

In the dying minutes, Windsor’s Josh Grant had a chance from a central free kick but he narrowly missed the left post with the last chance of the game.

Full Time: Musselburgh Windsor Blue 2 Dalkeith Thistle CFC 1

Musselburgh Magic Moment

The home sides magic moment came during their opener, Aidan Gourlay showed fantastic skill to beat his man and get some space for an effort on goal. He then followed up that play with a smart finish, with power, at the near post to put his side in the driving seat for this semi-final.

Dalkeith Magic Moment

The away side’s magic moment came via their only goal of the game, when Liam Borthwick was rewarded for all his hard work all game with a great assist to get his side right back into the tie.

Musselburgh Star Player

Josh Grant is Windsor’s Star Player, after going down early on he showed great resilience to get back up and command the game with some good challenges, interceptions and an assist.

Dalkeith Star Player

Liam Borthwick is Thistle’s Star Player, whenever he picked up the ball he kept going past his man with some great pace and dribbling abilities and he picked up an assist.

Musselburgh Windsor Blue: Teddy Timms, Ross McPherson, Joe Regan, Thomas Douglas, Matthew Murray-Smith, Dean Bingham, Jamie Ritchie, Finlay Reid, Adam Erskine, Daniel Lovie, Bertie Harris, Aiden Gourlay, Freddy Markham, Calvin Henderson, Lewis Finnie, Josh Grant.

Dalkeith Thistle CFC: Oliver McPheators, Alex Evans, Max Richardson, Rhys Nethery, Rory Thomson, , Michael Quinn, Lennon Fairgreave, Keigan Wilson, Jamie Smyk, Scott Ferguson, Owen Morrison, Liam Borthwick.



More in Match Previews & Reports