Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Our Lady and St Patrick’s edge out Holyrood in a nine-goal thriller

On a cloudy and humid day at New Western Park, Renfrew, Our Lady & St Patrick’s High and Holyrood Secondary competed for the GSFA U13 League Cup Final.

The game kicked off with both teams hungry to go forward as there was a mere 60 minutes on the clock due to the U13 GSFA rules.

The game began scrappy as the ball seemed to never leave the air. It was clear from the start that both teams were eager to play more direct, playing some lovely through balls in behind the back line of both defences.

In the sixth minute mark there were huge cries for handball on the penalty area as it struck the hand of Holyrood’s Joseph Adetoro. However, the ref shouted play on as no penalty was given.

St Patrick’s had majority of possession in the first ten minutes of the game and dominated the middle of the park. However, this was undone as Adetoro played a hopeful through ball over the top in which Keillan Ponsonby reacted quickest to the deflection off the St Patrick’s defender and neatly tucked away the finish into the side netting.

Ciaran Burdon in the midfield of St Patrick’s had a fantastic game as his first sign of trickery came in the 14th minute where he skipped past several Holyrood players and made his way into the box where his cross was blocked by Adetoro.

Intricate feet on the right hand side from Allan Ferguson allowed him to weaved through the defence of Holyrood setting the ball to St Patrick’s captain Connor Mckenna on the edge of the box where his curling strike was parried out to Leon Johnston and his headed effort was collected by the Holyrood Goalkeeper Jude Divers after a brilliant double save.

The equaliser came after 20 minutes as Chey McEnroe pounced with his head to send the ball into the back of the net after a beautifully whipped cross from Johston was parried by Divers, making it 1-1 going into the break.

After halftime chaos ensued as both teams were craving a lead, inevitably leading to a back and forth half where seven goals were scored.

St Patrick’s thought they had taken the lead within two minutes of the restart as McEnroe had the ball slotted into the net only for the referee to give a foul as Holyrood’s Muktar Atiba was pushed in the back when attempting to clear the ball with his head.

However, four minutes later in the 36th minute,  St Patrick’s did take the lead as Kian Cumming headed into the goal, very similar to the first as it was parried away by Divers after a brilliant freekick on the right-hand side of the pitch was put into a dangerous area.

The equaliser arrived on the 50th minute where Ponsonby doubled his tally to make it 2-2 with another header from a cross, as it became a clear theme of the match at New Western Park.

St Patrick’s regained the lead straight after kick-off to make it 3-2 as Ferguson played a hopeful long ball which was dispatched calmy amongst chaos by McEnroe for his second of the match.

Once again Holyrood equalised straight after kick-off which saw a fantastic mazey run on the right-hand side of the pitch by Ronan Naughton weaving in between St Patrick defenders finding himself inside the box where his driven shot to the bottom left corner of the goal found the back on the net.

Kyle McKechnie gave St Patrick’s the lead four minutes after Holyrood’s equaliser. It was a beautifully worked goal as Johnston skipped past three defenders on the left of the 18-yard box where he slipped McEnroe in behind of the Holyrood back four and his lovely cut back landed straight at the feet of McKechnie for an open goal where smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Leading 4-3, St Patrick’s made it a fifth through Johnston after he found himself with acres of space as a free kick from the halfway line was hopefully flown into the box. After an unlucky deflection off a number of Holyrood defenders it landed delightfully to the feet of Johnston as he precisely finished into the back of the net.

Holyrood 5-3 down, did not go out without a fight as they pegged one back through AJ Smith’s volley which took a wicked deflection steering it away from St Patrick’s keeper Kelvin Walsh.

With seconds left the referee blew the full-time whistle. Jubilation as well as relief arose from The St Patrick’s players and coaches, getting their hands on the 2023/24 GSFA U13 League cup Final.

Our Lady & St Patrick’s Player of the Match: Ciaran Burdon

Burdon seemed to be everywhere on the park. His work rate going forward and defensively was outstanding, with some brilliant moments of technical ability.

Holyrood Secondary Player of the Match: Joseph Adetoro

Adetoro in the first half was instrumental to keeping the game level. He put in some excellent tackles, blocks and never seemed to lose a header.

Our Lady & St Patrick’s Magic Moment:

The fifth goal scored by Johnston sealing the victory for the team.

Holyrood Secondary Magic Moment:

Ponsonby’s opening goal giving Holyrood the lead, setting the game up to be a cracker.

Our Lady & St Patrick‘s U13s

Kelvin Walsh

Mark McFetridge

Connor McKenna

Joseph Blair

Calum Gillespie

Kyle McKechnie

Anthony Boyle

Chey McEnroe

Ciaran Burdon

Leon Johnston

Allan Ferguson

Riley Wilson

Joshua Reece

Leo Rennie

Aaron Johnstone

Kian Cumming

Holyrood Secondary U13s

Jude Divers

James Katongo

Muktar Atiba

AJ Smith

Joseph Adetoro

Rico Goldie

Leon McLanachan

James Sanderson

Keillan Ponsonby

Jamie Heron

Oscar Blair

Ronan Naughton

Jay Coyle

Bailey McGuigan

Jonnie McKenzie



More in Match Previews & Reports