Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Stanley’s Strike Seals Secondary School’s Cup for Craigmount

Harris Stanley’s wonder strike was enough for Craigmount to clinch a narrow win over Queensferry in the U13s Edinburgh Secondary Schools FA Cup Final at a sun kissed Meggetland.

Craigmount had already completed a treble of victories over their opponents Queensferry this season and were looking to complete the quadruple. Meanwhile Queensferry had different ideas and were looking to banish this record, and clinch silverware.

Photo: Elouan & Baptiste

 The game started in a typical frantic cup final manner, and it was Queensferry who were first to threaten. Umit Bakir raced into the box, but his shot was deflected into the hands of Craigmount stopper, Caleb McLean.

Queensferry’s Calvin Morris had started the match impressively, showing great dribbling skills and had an audacious attempt from around 35 yards out which tried to catch McLean off his line, but the keeper was equal to the task and held onto the ball well.

Craigmount grew into the game, and their first real chances occurred when Euan Scott cut in from the left-hand side onto his favoured right foot. He hit a curling shot that looked headed for the top corner, only to be denied by the crossbar. Daniel Farrell and Felix Scott then had two rebounds that were both marvellously saved by Queensferry goalkeeper, Adam Cinderely. Fantastic reflexes from the goalkeeper that somehow kept the tie at nil apiece.

Only minutes later, Craigmount were denied once again by the woodwork as Stanley laid off Harry Dunne and his first-time effort from distance looked to be creeping into at Cinderley’s right hand post, but he was thankful to see the woodwork coming to his rescue.

Photo: Elouan & Baptiste

However, the deadlock was finally broken on the 25th minute mark, and it was broken in spectacular fashion from a similar range as Dunne’s effort. Craigmount had possession on the edge of the Queensferry box, and the ball was rolled to Stanley. Around 30 yards from goal in the centre of the pitch he unleashed a rocket of a right footed shot that found the roof of the net. It truly was a fantastic strike that was worthy of winning any cup tie, and Stanley went onto have a terrific game.

Queensferry responded well however, and their heads did not drop. Only minutes after the Craigmount opener, Queensferry were awarded a free kick approximately 20 yards from goal. Morris hit a sweet right footed strike that looked destined for the net, but it just evaded the goalkeeper’s crossbar to keep Craigmount’s advantage at 1-0 going into the break.

The second half started in a similar frantic fashion to the first half with not much goalmouth action to report on within the first ten minutes. The first piece of action happened around 12 minutes into the second half, as Queensferry burst through on goal, and Craigmount’s Jamie Laidlaw was issued with a yellow card as he brought down his opponent around 20 yards from goal. Seb Bernardi stepped up to hit a fierce strike from the post that just evaded, McLean’s far right post. It was certainly an encouraging start from Queensferry.

Photo: Elouan & Baptiste

Craigmount’s Daniel Farrell was then involved in the thick of the action with two great pieces of play in only a matter of minutes apart from each other. Firstly, he had a great jinking run into the box from the right-hand side, and there were shouts for a penalty as he went down under a tackle, however, this was waved away by the match official. Only moments later, Farrell picked up on a loose ball inside the Queensferry box and put a tantalising cross right across the face of goal, that only need a tap in but there were no attackers on the end of the cross, and Queensferry managed to clear the danger.

As time was running out, Queensferry were piling on some pressure looking for an equaliser, and in the dying seconds of the game they were awarded a corner, but Craigmount defended it well and cleared the ball up the pitch.

On the day where it was the Eurovision Grand Final, it was music to Craigmount’s ears when they heard the referee’s final whistle which sparked jubilant scenes amongst the Craigmount players and support. Captain Harris Laurie lifted silverware on what was a thoroughly enjoyable cup final to watch. Congratulations to Craigmount on their victory.

Photo: Elouan & Baptiste

Craigmount Magic Moment: 

Harris Stanley’s long-range effort was truly worthy of winning any cup final. His right footed attempt from around 30 yards out which found the roof of the net was an incredible goal. It was a sight to behold as he rushed off to celebrate with the jubilant, travelling Craigmount support who turned out in their numbers.

Queensferry Magic Moment: 

Queensferry goalkeeper, Adam Cinderely made a fantastic double save in the first half. The first effort cannoned off the crossbar, and has Craigmount looked to head in the rebound, Cinderley made a fantastic stop to claw it off the line. There were shouts that the ball had crossed but no goal was given thanks  truly was fantastic reflexes from Cinderely.

Craigmount HS U13s

21. Caleb McLean

2. Felix Gray

3. Jamie Laidlaw

4. Adam Ross

5. Harris Laurie

6. Jenson Key

7. Daniel Farrell

8. Harris Stanley

9. Thomas Henderson

10. Lewis Connolly

11. Alexander Filipek

12. Olly Henderson

15. Harry Dunne

16. Euan Scott

17. Oliver Caldwell

18. Grant McIntosh

Queensferry HS U13s

1. Adam Cinderely 

3. Calvin Morris

4. Johnny

5. Adam Stirton

6. Rowan Eadie

7. Umit Bakir

8. Emir

9. Ellis Mcclaren

10. Harris Scott

11. Seb Bernardi

12. Sam

14. Leo Rutherford

17. Harry Stevens

18. Louis Squire

19. Liam Ballantine



More in Match Previews & Reports